Saturday, January 4, 2014

Trying something a little different.

Even though I have been taking photographs for a long time I am always searching for new ideas or projects to try.  Today I discovered a YouTube video by Bryan Peterson where he demonstrated a technique of photographing an object in a vase with sparkling water.  He did his out doors on a picnic table using natural light and it looked very intriguing. So I thought I would give it a try this evening.

Now as it is winter time here shooting out doors was not going to happen so I brought a mug down to the studio and set up one of my Alien Bees with a small Chimera soft box.  I set the ISO at 100, shutter speed at 1/250 and aperture at f5.  I used my 70-200 mm lens with a 36 mm extension tube for macro.  After using a clothes pin to hold the orange slice in place I used a can of Sprite as my liquid.  I took a number of quick shots as the bubbles interacted with the orange.

After downloading the files to my computer I choose the one I felt had the nicest bubbles and then cropped and did some minor exposure adjustments.  Using OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 7 to add a border that I liked.

It is fun to try new things again and that is one of the joy's of photography.  I plan on doing a lot of experimenting in the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment