Saturday, February 5, 2011

Archive Image of the Day. Image #2


This is one of the earliest 35 mm images I have created. Shot in the summer of 1977, in an area that is now covered in house's, I found this run down old shed and stage coach. Still discovering my new darkroom and learning how to develop film I made what turned out to be a happy mistake but a technique I would use from time to time. In my excitement and impatience I developed the film in developer that was at 90 degree F (normally you would have it at 70 degree's). This caused the film to be over developed (which I learned to compensate for in the future) and for the emulsion to crack subtly, thus causing what was called reticulation. Unfortunately since it was a roll of film most of the frames were dense and unusable. However this one, with this particular subject matter, worked out to create a unique image.

Fortunately I was taught to record my technical data and though this was a mistake it was one I was able to repeat in the future when I wanted to, especially with sheet film. This was taken with my Pentax K1000 which was the first 35mm camera I owned and a standard 50mm lens.

1 comment: