Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 103, 365 Day Project.

When I was a child a trip from Brentwood to Bowness Park here in Calgary was a big deal and something to look forward to on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Tonight I had an hour to myself so I thought I would take a drive over to Bowness Park to see if I could find some ducks along the river to photograph. Alas there were no ducks close to the river bank but as I was driving through the park I saw the old amusement park were we played when we were kids. Sadly most of the rides are gone now and what are left lie behind a chain link fence with barbed wire on top. However there was a small section were the barbed wire had broken and I was able to reach my camera up over the fence to capture some shots of the old Rocket ship ride. The sun was getting low in the sky and gave this warm glow on these long abandoned toys. Shot with the Canon 7D, 24-70 f2.8 @ f7.1 and focal length of 60mm. Shutter speed was 1250 at 1600 ISO.

After taking the first image I wandered down towards the river and attached my 70-200 f2.8 and 2x converter and went to see if I could see some ducks. There were a few but out in the middle of the Bow river and to far for me to shoot. However I looked over my shoulder and saw the sun reflecting off the tracks of the Miniature Railroad that runs through the park. The fresh snow we had this morning created a wonderful pattern between the rails and I composed the image to have the lines flow through the photo. Focal length was 270mm at f7.1 1/25o0 sec at 1600 ISO.



As I walked along the river I saw this shelf of ice breaking off and resting in the river. It reminded me iceberg images I have seen and it shows the amount of snow we have had this past winter. Again with the Canon 7D 70-200 f2.8 @ f7.1 and focal length of 380mm, 1/1250 @ 1600 ISO.

No comments:

Post a Comment