Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Trying to stay on the positive side.

I have been around the photography scene for about 40 years now having picked up the bug at a young age.   During that time I have met, spoken to, worked with and taught many others who share this passion with me. Over this time I have been exposed to many ideas and thoughts about our industry/profession/hobby both positive and negative.

At the start I was somewhat naive about photography and took photo's for the shear joy of it. Then I started freelancing and eventually had a profession which I followed with passion.  I attended art school, graduated and opened a business which eventually lead to leading workshops and then teaching in a continuing education program.  I joined clubs, organizations and various groups going to conferences and seminars all in an effort to better myself and to meet my peers.

Along came the internet and I was an earlier adopter posting my first website in late 1995.  I followed on-line forums and progressed along to the present day being active in social media of all types.  In essence I immersed myself in everything photographic.

In doing so I have been inundated with work from photographers around the world as well as many different trains of thought.  This can make things interesting, especially as we see more and more people join our ranks.  It can be difficult not to get intimidated when you see the wonderful work of so many and wonder how your images stack up.  Then you hear the grumblings of those who complain about the proliferation of photographers who are said to be destroying the industry and ruining it for those who have been around for a long time.  It is easy to let this negative energy suck the life and passion from you.

I will be honest that I have struggled with this over the last few years, trying to figure my place in the photographic universe.  I have no grand illusions to my importance or my skill level.  I know I am a decent photographer and I try hard to support others in the field whether they be beginners taking my classes to some of the best shooters in the world who have graced my life. Like everyone I need the encouragement of my peers and friends and need to be able to keep a positive outlook.  I also need to rediscover what direction I am taking in this photographic journey.

I feel I have come full circle and am back to shooting for myself and back to experimenting and discovering the medium in all the aspects.  From a business stand point I maybe at a bit of a crossroad as I realize that I am a better photographer than a businessman.  Still I would like to make some income from my work and this is the challenge that many of us have.  At this stage of my life I have chosen to teach and be there for my family while I look at what I can do with the work I am producing.  I know I am not alone in this and that is why I try to maintain a positive outlook and share as such with those I encounter.

I will close here saying that I am on a journey of discovery and I invite you to join me by following me here and by sharing your stories with me and others.  Accept photography for the sheer joy of it, don't begrudge others for their successes or what they are doing, but find your own path.  This is what I choose to do and I will continue to grow even as I hit the big 50 this year.

Now some more images from the past month.

April 24  From my High Key class at SAIT.  Canon 7D 24-70mm, f8 at 1/125 sec.
April 25 - My boy's Cool and Luke's first night of soccer. Canon 7D on shutter priority and 1/500 sec., 70-200mm lens.



April 26 - A silly toy that caught my eye.  iPhone capture and processed.
April 27  Capturing water dripping from the tap. Canon 70, 24-70 with extension tubes, ISO 640, f2.8, 1/640 sec.
Cool being a bubble head.  iPhone shot.
April 28  On the road near Springbank, farmers field in the late afternoon sun. iPone capture.
The strings of a baby grande piano. iPhone.
April 29 From my advanced studio class using florescent tubes as a light source.  Canon 7D, ISO 800, f4, 1/125 sec.

April 30  Basketball net and sky.  iPhone capture and processed.
May 1 Lines and shadows.  iPhone capture and processed.
May 2  Lillies in our front yard.  Canon 7D, 24-70mm, processed in snapseed on the iPhone.
May 3 A walk through Sandy Beach by the Elbow river here in Calgary.  All images shot with the iPhone.




May 4  Fabric landscape. iPhone capture.
 Macro shot of the pistil of a flower.  Canon 7d, 24-70 with extension tubes.
May 5  Wagon wheel.  iPhone photo with the hipstamatic app and tintype filter.
May 6  Low Key with my advanced lighting class.  Canon 7D, 24-70, f8, 1/125 sec.
May 7  Motorbike in the parking lot.  iPhone capture and processed with snapseed.

No comments:

Post a Comment