Friday, June 8, 2012

Playing with a shadow.

Light is the most important thing in creating a photograph, however shadows are just as important.  So one of the fun things to do is to take an object and light it to see what the shadows do.  We have this wild ball the boy's got at an arcade in Hawaii and I thought it make for an interesting subject.  I placed it on a while piece of foam core and then used a small light source as a light source.  I angled the light so to use the edge of the light and not the hot spot as the iPhone does not handle the contrast range easily.

After taking the shot I opened the image in Snapseed where I cropped it and then converted it to B&W.  This was necessary as the ball is multicoloured and I knew this would be distracting.  I also knew that the different colours would create a variety of tonal ranges as well giving it a nice look.  After adding a frame I then uploaded as my Instagram 366 photo for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment