Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 24, 365 Day Project


We picked up this small fountain a couple of years ago on a trip to Phoenix, AZ. When thinking about what I would like to do for today's image I felt that it would make an interesting subject. So down to the studio I took it, set it on a pedestal and put one Balcar light with the extra small Chimera softbox to the right hand side slightly behind the fountain. For the top exposure I was at at f16 for an 8 second exposure using the modeling light only from Balcar.

I got what I wanted in just two takes and was about to break down when I notice a nice silhouette if I moved my camera position to have the softbox directly across from the camera. I cropped in to what I thought was an interesting angle and shot the bottom image at f22 for 13 seconds having turned the power all the way down on the modeling light. I then used a small flash light to add some detail back into the one basin just near the bottom as it was to dark on my initial test.

Both images were shot with the Canon 7D, 24-70 f2.8 lens at 100ISO.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick, I like your silhouette best! Looks like you're having a blast with your project and it's a great excuse for staying in out of the cold! Hope to see you again soon at an upcoming WPPI convention.

    ReplyDelete