Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 62, 365 Day Project


I've been going a little stir crazy sitting in the house during this recent cold snap. The weather has been down right miserable with -35C wind chills and grey skies. I was feeling the blues and really needed to get out for a walk. Fortunately today the opportunity presented itself as I had an hour and a half between dropping Luke of at playschool and picking Cool up from school. The sun was shining and the temperature had warmed to -14C so I headed down to Princess Island which is on the edge of Calgary's downtown core. I was hoping that there would be some open water and some ducks to photograph but that did not pan out.

So I went for a walk around the islands to see what winter images I could find. The above caught my eye and I zoomed in on these leaves that had fallen and were sticking out of the snow. I love the color and the texture of the leaves against the white snow. Shot with the Canon 7D, 70-200 f2.8 @ f11, 1/320 sec at 200 ISO handheld.

As I walked along I came across this little fellow below scampering through the snow. I edged up as close as I could and since he was running from sun to shade I switched aperture priority and F5.6 as I wanted some shallow depth of field to keep the background a little less distracting. Shutterspeed was 1/1600 on the top image and 1/1000 on the bottom. Focal length was 200mm.

It was nice to get out even for a short walk and shake off some of the winter blues.







No comments:

Post a Comment