Thursday, November 22, 2012

I admire those who are persistent.

Photography has changed dramatically over the last 35 years and thus many who have been in the business for that long have either had to adapt or close their business.  It is always a struggle even at this best of times and can be even more trying when you are doing a certain style of photography.  This is why I have great admiration for those who are persistent and preserver especially over a long period of time.

I had the good fortune of meeting two such photographers who are doing just that while following their own unique style of photography.  They have forged a lifestyle that has given them many wonderful experiences since they started their business in October of 1977 and have traveled across Canada extensively while creating 1000's of unique portraits for people of all ages.

Mr. Bill and Miss Emi hail from Pictou, Nova Scotia but live most of the year on the road carrying with them one of the largest collections of props and costumes to create those wonderful old style photographs. They have traveled to fairs and exhibitions and are currently set up in Northland Village Mall in Calgary until the end of the year.  They have seen changes to the craft having started out shooting with 8x10 cameras and processing sheet film to turn around these portraits in quick order.  Now they work with digital cameras and Epson printers that they have mastered to give clients that old time look.  They have won awards from Antique and Amusement Photographers International ( http://www.oldtimephotos.org ) and are a couple of the most friendly people you could hope to meet.  You can find them on Facebook under Costumeportraits if you would like to follow them.

I met them last Thursday as I walked through the mall and noticed that they had taken over a large bay and had it filled with their artifacts and images.  I started to talk with Bill and learned a little of his and Emi's story and knew that I wanted to come back and create my own portrait of Bill for my Instagram 366 Photo of the day project.  So I came back this morning and asked Bill if I could take his photo's with all his old west guns just off their shooting area.  This was the best light as Bill has made his own lighting units using large compact fluorescent lamps. I took a couple of images before thanking him and wishing him good luck for the day.

When I returned home I opened the photo I liked best in Snapseed and using the selective adjust darkened a few of the brighter areas.  I then added a bit of a Vintage filter which I felt benefited the scene and style and end with a frame.  One of the challenges I have is approaching strangers and asking them if I can take their photo's and sometimes photographers are the worst subject's as they prefer to be on the other side of the camera.  I am glad that I took the time to create this photo of a most gracious gentlemen and I am pleased with the result.  

If you are in Calgary (or if they ever set up shop in your city) take the time to drop by and say "Hi" and perhaps even take the time to have a photo created.
While waiting for the mall to open I did do a couple other photo's on the iPhone as I wandered around.  The first photo is a good candidate for this years Christmas Card which I am working on this weekend.  This was of a display outside and I loved the fresh covering of snow on the ornaments. This was edited with both Snapseed and iPhoto.
I also saw this wonderful orchid as the red pattern in the yellow leaves caught my eye.  I came in tight and made this capture which was post processed with Snapseed.

No comments:

Post a Comment