Saturday, November 3, 2012

Working with still life's.

A great deal of my subjects for my Instagram 366 project have been everyday objects or small figurines .  Essentially these are still life's and I try to look at all the elements that goes into making an interesting photo of such objects.  Lighting is of course one of the key factors, yet other considerations such as angles and backgrounds are just as important.  Sometimes one has to think outside the box a little bit when trying to find a background that works with the subject.

Yesterday my son and I attended the new movie "Wreck-It Ralph" and as always there are always some sort of promotion tied in to the movie.  Lately there have been figurines that are attached to the children s movie snacks. These stand on top of the drink cup and Cool got one of the lead character. Today I was looking at it thought it might make a neat subject.  So I picked it up and as I was observing it I saw it with the tile of the kitchen floor behind.  Since the movie is suppose to be about games from 30 years ago the tiles reminded me of some of the grid patterns associated with video games from that time period. I moved it around and chose to shoot from an angle that accentuated the hands of Ralph who uses them to smash buildings. After taking the image I brought it in to Snapseed for the cropping and adding a bit of grunge before framing it up with RealCamera+.

For those of you who are wondering, Wreck-It Ralph is a good movie that kids (especially boys) will love.  It has a nice story and enough inside jokes for those of use who grew up with these games.
Now I want to update yesterday's post.  I was able to figure out how to get Wood Camera to save to the camera roll and noticed that images shot on that app are at the resolution of the device used.  I still have found that when I bring them into some of the other apps there are some that tend to render them smaller.  So far I think it has something to do with iPhoto, but I am still looking onto it to see where it is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment